I’ve never been the teacher that does getting to know you games or ice breakers on the first day of school. I remember really not liking them when I was in school and assume that there are some students out there that feel the same way.
But I think I may have found one that works for me.
Last year we started doing Character Strong in our school, and have expanded it this year. One of the early activities is an ice breaker where the students pair up and talk about a bunch of random prompts like “what special talent do you wish you had?” They get a little deeper but don’t ever seem to get too personal. And I think it’s those personal questions that I didn’t like growing up.
So I tried it today in my first period after a seating chart change. Everyone stood up and got in either pairs or triples with their new neighbors and I gave them 3 different prompts to talk about. Best one from today was “if you could merge any two animals, what would they be and why.”
And it was weird. First period is always my quietest period. Never a problem, but I think they’re just sleepy and don’t interact much with each other during work times. Today they were talking to their neighbors while working instead of just staring straight ahead at their computer screens.
So Monday, when I change seats in my other classes, we’re going to do the same thing. I’m thinking 3 Questions is either going to become a tradition when we change seat or maybe every Monday as a way to get our minds back into school mode.
A bunch of ice breaker questions
So that I don’t have to go Googling next time, I’m going to put a bunch of the questions I’ve found here. The sites they came from are linked below. Not sure which questions came from which sites, but since all the sites seem to have variants of the same questions I’m not sure it matters that much.
- Have you ever met a famous person?
- Do you have any pets?
- What was the last book you read?
- Have you ever lived in another country? … been to another country?
- What famous people have you met?
- What do you like to do in your free time?
- What’s your favorite restaurant?
- What was the last movie you saw?
- If you could live anywhere in the world for a year, where would it be?
- What’s one activity that you’ve always wanted to try?
- What super-power would you most want to have?
- If you had to spend $10 million in a week, but couldn’t spend it on you or your family, what would you spend it on?
- Describe your dream house.
- What’s one thing that you would change about the world?
- What is one obscure talent that you are very good at?
- If you could live in any TV show, which one would it be?
- If you had your own talk show, who would be your first three guests?
- Which actor would you choose to play you in a movie?
- If you could instantly become an expert in something, what would it be?
- If you could eliminate one thing from your daily routine, what would it be?
- What’s your favorite children’s story?
- If you could visit anywhere in the world, where would it be?
- What childish thing do you still do?
- If you had to wear one shirt for a year, what would it look like?
- If you had an extra hour of free time today, what would you do with it?
- Who do you admire most?
- What’s something you can do better than almost everyone else?
- What song best describes your life?
- If you were a circus performer, what would your act be?
- What’s the funniest thing you did as a kid that your parents still talk about today?
- Which Sesame Street character would you want as a neighbor?
- If you were the eighth dwarf, what would your name be?
- Would you rather have a pause or rewind button for your life?
- If you knew you would not fail, what would you do?
- What failure have you learned the most from?
- A zombie apocalypse is coming. What 3 people do you want on your team?
- What emoji best describes your life?
- If you were a wrestler, what would be your entrance song?
- If you were famous, what would you be famous for?
- You have to sing karaoke. What song do you pick?
- If you had to eat one meal for the rest of your life, what would it be?
- If aliens landed outside and offered to take you back to their planet, would you go?
- What’s the best advice you’ve ever been given?
- What’s the title of your autobiography?
- If you had to delete all but 3 apps on your phone, which ones do you keep?
- Who would you add to Mount Rushmore?
- What Olympic sport would you compete it?
- Which musical artist would you want to play at your funeral?
- What fictional place would you like to visit?
- If you had a time machine, when and where would you go?
- You can have an unlimited supply of one thing for the rest of your life. What is it?
- If you could be friends with anyone from history, who would it be?
- What movie do you wish you could see again for the first time?
- If you had to teach a class, what would you teach?
- If you could stop aging, what age would you pick to stop at?
Have any favorite ice breaker questions? Share ’em down in the comments below.
Want to stay in touch and keep up to date with the latest posts @ CompSci.rocks?